To develop genomes-by-design by enabling plant functional genomics and harnessing plant metabolism.
- Implementing high efficiency tools and technologies that enable plant genome design;
- Modeling metabolic pathways to inform genetic modifications that will produce metabolites of value;
- Developing genetic regulatory circuits to control plant developmental and metabolic pathways;
- Forming consortia with academic and governmental research institutions to bring in relevant expertise;
- Capturing innovation through relationships with industrial partners and by creating new start-up companies.
The impact of our technology will be two-fold:
- enabling plant functional genomics, providing fundamental insight into how plant genes control growth and development;
- harnessing plant metabolism to produce the primary metabolites (i.e. carbohydrates, protein, oil) needed for food as well as the diverse array of plant-derived secondary metabolites that are of value as pharmaceuticals and industrial raw materials.
We are inspired by the transition from an era of DNA reading – our ability to sequence genomes at high throughput – to an era of DNA writing – our ability to create de novo genetic blueprints. Our intent is to compose a future with a healthier environment, enriched food crops, and an open door to large-scale genome design.